The primary goal of the Grounds Maintenance Division is to provide safe and clean facilities in an environmentally sensitive manner, insuring that parks, beaches and public areas are maintained in a manner that supports the community's vision and retains their value over time. Goals and objectives are accomplished through the maintenance of parks and facilities by reliable and well-trained staff.
Among the responsibilities of the Grounds Maintenance Division of Public Works are the following tasks:
- Maintain and upgrade all landscaping in 280 acres of City parks and properties.
- Furnish sanitation supplies and maintain cleanliness of 22 public restrooms and amenities in the City parks.
- Maintain and improve landscaped medians, islands and parkways in major thoroughfares within the city limits.
- Prepare park areas for community events through landscape maintenance, pest control and janitorial tasks.
- Continue to implement cost and labor-saving plants and techniques pertaining to landscape maintenance (through the use of Florida Friendly guidelines) and custodial tasks.
- Inspect and repair all irrigation systems, consisting of approximately 12,800 sprinkler heads, on City properties.
- Replace damaged and declining landscape material on public properties.
- Continue tree replacement program on Victory Boulevard as needed.
- Oversee installation and maintenance of tree plantings throughout the City, including dedicatory trees, to insure proper techniques are used for optimum survivability.
- Ensure standards and requirements are met for maintaining the City's Tree City USA designation (37 years).