- Historic Preservation - A Brief History
- Historic Designation
Consistent with the criteria established by the National Register of Historic Places, the HPC shall recommend for designation places, buildings, structures, landscape features, archaeological sites and other improvements as individual sites, districts or archaeological zones that are significant in Vero Beach's history, architecture, archaeology or culture and possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship or association.
Photos are from collections at the Archive Center of the Indian River County Main Library.
- Are associated with events that have made significant contributions to the pattern of history in the community, Vero Beach, Indian River County, the state or the nation; or
- Are associated with the lives of persons significant in Vero Beach's past; or
- Embodies the distinctive characteristics of an architectural type, period, style or method of construction; or the work of a prominent designer or builder; or contains elements of design, detail, materials, or craftsmanship of outstanding quality; or that represents a significant innovation or adaptation to the South Florida environment; or represents a distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction; or
- Have yielded, or are likely to yield information in history or prehistory; or
- Is a part of or related to a landscape, park, environmental feature or other distinctive area, and should be developed or preserved according to a plan based upon a historic, cultural, or architectural motif; or because of its prominent or special location, contrast of siting, age, or scale is an easily identifiable visual feature of a neighborhood or the city and contributes to the distinctive quality of such neighborhood or the city.
To apply for Historic Designation please download, print and submit a completed application (PDF) to:
City of Vero Beach - City Hall
1053 20th Place
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Phone Number: 772-978-5151
For help researching a historic building, please contact the Planning department (772-978-5151), see the Indian River Country History Documentation form (PDF) or visit our Forms page.