The mission of the Risk Management Division is two-fold:
- Protect City resources including personnel, facilities, assets and real property from accidental loss and insure the City's ability to deliver essential services is not impaired following a loss.
- Continue to coordinate and deliver a comprehensive and cost-effective benefit package to help retain current employees and attract the best qualified applicants for openings in the future.
- Property, Casualty and Workers' Compensation Claim Administration: Adjust and negotiate a resolution to existing and newly incurred workers' compensation, property and liability claims within the constraints of applicable state, federal and local laws, statutes and regulations. Customary insurance industry practices are applied to resolve each claim in the most efficient, fair and advantageous manner possible.
- Commercial Insurance Policy Management: Re-evaluate the City's insurance policies based on the recent losses due to the storms. Procure and monitor commercial insurance policies that protect City assets that are too valuable to self-insure. This includes a continuous evaluation of loss exposure to City assets with the goal of identifying alternative risk financing solutions that are economically advantageous to the City.
- Employee Benefit Administration: Provide ongoing evaluation and assessment of employee insurance and benefits programs that rely on approaches that will provide acceptable levels of benefits in a cost effective manner.
- Employee Benefit Education and Assistance: Deliver continuing education to employees on the value and features of benefit packages offered through newsletters, bulletin board notices and on-site availability of provider representatives. Provide daily assistance and guidance to employees regarding benefit choices and proper administration of benefits. Provide an employee assistance program to aid all employees in maintaining their physical and mental well being.
- Regulatory Compliance: Insure compliance with COBRA HIPAA, Section 125, OSHA, ADA, and other Federal, State and local rules, regulations and standards.
- Employee Safety: Provide safety resources and training to ensure the well-being of City employees while on the job with the goal of reducing and/or eliminating exposures to disease, injury and death. Develop extensive in-house training to provide city-wide safety instruction at a reasonable cost. Solicit participation of City employees in supporting safe work practices and a safe work environment. Develop evacuation plans and conduct emergency preparedness drills. Begin developing and administering security access hardware and procedures for City Hall.